The problem with licking your lips
Lip balm doesn’t need sweetener to smell wonderful!
Why do NIVEA add no sweeteners to their formulas?
Many people think that adding sweetener to lip products will increase their appeal by making them taste sweet. In fact, sweeteners can be very damaging for the lips.
People that wear lip balms containing sweeteners are far more likely to lick their lips throughout the day. This, in turn, causes lips to become dry and chapped. Although having a lip balm that tastes as delicious as it smells is a nice idea, in reality it isn’t the best way to get healthy lips.The Labello Care & Flavour range contains a range of indulgent lip products with rich aromas like NIVEA Lip Butter Blueberry Blush – but they do not cause you to lick your lips excessively.
Why is it bad to lick your lips?
Licking your lips might feel great at the time and your lips might feel moist temporarily, but in reality this habit is drying them out more.
When you lick your lips, you’re coating them in saliva. Not only does it evaporate very quickly to leave lips drier than before, your saliva is also full of enzymes that are too harsh for the delicate lip skin. These enzymes can remain on the lips and cause them to feel dry and uncomfortable.But there’s no need to put up with chapped lips. By using a soothing lip butter that’s free of sweeteners like NIVEA Lip Butter Cocoa, your lip-licking habit will be nothing but a distant memory.
Don’t let lip-licking become a habit!
Ways to avoid licking your lips
- Make sure you’re hydrated – dehydration can cause you to lick your lips more regularly
- Try to de-stress – stress may be triggering your lip-licking habit
- Do something to distract yourself – this will help you to keep your mind on something else
- Put on some lipstick – the thought of smudging it should act as an incentive
- Avoid breathing with an open mouth – this can further dry lips out
Great ways to get healthy lips
What products should I be using?
One of the best ways to ensure your lips are kept healthy-looking is by regularly applying moisturising lip balms and lip butters.
The Labello Care & Flavour range is designed with the health of your lips in mind and has a product to suit every need. NIVEA Cherry Shine delights the lips with a lovely cherry aroma, a glossy shine and long-lasting moisture. Like the other products in this range, it contains no sweeteners, so won’t leave you with the urge to lick your lips.If you’d rather a richer texture, NIVEA Lip Butter Coconut has an indulgent formula, which pampers lips and relieves any dryness for healthy-looking lips that are well cared for.
The secret to smooth lips: Drinking enough water
Quick tips for keeping lips healthy
- Avoid having very hot showers, as this can dry out your lips
- Protect your lips in cold conditions by covering them with a scarf
- Use a humidifier to help keep the air around you moist
- Wear a lip balm with sunscreen like Labello Lip Balm Sun Protect to protect the lips against UV rays, which may dry them out further
- Gently exfoliate lips using a toothbrush or flannel to get rid of dead skin